Sunday, June 2, 2013

Karakuri Top 32 Regional Deck Profile + Matchups!!


This is my Karakuri Can decklist that I brought to the Madison, TN regionals; placing 20th overall and going X-2. First the decklist, then the tournament report.

Decklist: Karakuri Can v4

Monsters: 19
x3 Solar Wind Jammer
x3 KK Komachi
x2 KK Merchant
x2 KK Strategist  
x1 KK Watchdog
x3 KK Soldier
x2 KK Ninja "Kuick"
x1 KK Muso "Haipa"
x2 Psychic Commander

Spells: 16
x3 Instant Fusion
x3 E-Tele
x1 De-Synchro
x1 Iron Call
x1 Monster Reborn
x1 Heavy Storm
x2 MST
x1 Book of Moon
x1 Pot of Avarice
x2 Forbidden Dress

Traps: 5
x1 Solemn Warning
x2 Fiendish Chain
x2 Compulsory Evacuation Device

Extra: 15
x2 Cyber Saurus
x1 Wind-Up Zenmaines
x1 Number 61: Volcasaurus
x1 Number 11: Big Eye
x1 Ally of Justice Catastor
x1 Naturia Beast
x1 Naturia Landoise
x1 Black Rose Dragon
x2 KK Shogun "Burei"
x3 KK Steel Shogun "Bureido"
x1 Stardust Dragon

Side: 15
x1 KK Ninja "Sazank"
x2 Effect Veiler
x1 MST
x1 Breakthrough Skill
x1 Compulsory Evacuation Device
x2 Macro Cosmos
x2 Mind Drain
x3 Mischief of the Yokai
x2 *Lightforce Sword*
^^^Lightforce Sword was amazing! Sided it 6 of my games and no one got their cards back and killed E Dragons making them Neg 3 if used correctly.  
Click Here for a post on how to use Lightforce Sword effectively!


Notes about the deck:
-Forbidden Dress was good. It saved me at times and I like it a little better than Lance, There were times I wished that I had a Lance over Dress because of the decrease in attack, I could have used it on their monsters to get over some things, but I was still able to play around them. Nonetheless, it was more effective than Lance in my matchups. Unless after more testing shows that I will need the attack differential, Dress will stay.

-De-Synchro at 1 was good!! 2-3 would be nice, but you can't win with KK in this format going off all the time. Most of the day, I went off only when needed and sat on a Stardust and Beast/Landoise/Bure/Bureido field all day. With this at 1 so, no more than 2 will be needed for how I played.

-KK Haipa is amazing! Before the weeks to this tourney, I couldn't decide between 3 Kuick or 2 Kuick and 1 Haipa. The last few tourneys, I have replaced Haipa with a 3rd Kuick and it has been good, but Kuick at 2 made sure that I had 1 in deck for when I brought out Bureido or Burei for a Main Phase 2 Landoise or Big Eye if needed. Haipa at 1 is good because it can help against all the stun cards. Plus! Because of the End of Battle Phase effect it has, LaDD can't beat it if I have a target to attack. If you are looking at a LaDD and tokens on the field, Summon this guy, attack the tokens. Attack the token, end of battle, LaDD negates the Tilt effect. Their turn, Battle Phase, LaDD attack, Negate the Tilt, Haipa Wins. I don't use it for that, but it's always good to have options. Mainly I use this guy for Thunder King and other stun-like cards. Plus auto side for Sazank if needed for Evilswarms.

-Iron Call is good and makes up the difference for having 1 De-Synchro. Plus it is key for a play against Ophion. Summon Strategist, tilt Ophion, Iron Call for Kuick, kill Ophion, extend Summons in main phase 2. I had this at 2, but I wanted to run Forbidden Dress, and taking out 1 of these was my option.

-In this format, only 2 MSTs is needed; unless you are playing Evilswarms or random rogue decks. Which is why the 3rd is sided. Fire Fists are good, but not that good lol; the level 3 build is the only Fire Fists deck I have lost to and I played it this weekend. Against some decks, I sided out all my s/t hate for the most part.

-Solemn Judgment has been removed, because it makes me lose!!! idk why, but I always open with it and I'm forced, for the most part, to use it on crap I don't want to; wasting 4000 LP with Instant Fusions and Solemn Warning coming up next. Forbidden Dress has been used to replace the needs of Solemn Judgment.
**I may put in My Body as a Shield if Forbidden Dress doesn't do what I need it to do.

-I finally got to use Volcasaurus!! I may have used it once before but I'm not sure. I can make this guy all day, but it would be a waste. I used him to get around a Spirit Reaper after I made a big play, but I didn't have a Burei to get around Reaper; which never happens. In my experiences with KK, which is pretty extensive, bad hands, like BAD BAD hands, hardly show up. Usually, you can at the least make a Burei + random KK or Bureido and Strategist to get some draws going, but the REALLY bad hands hardly ever show up. But when they do, you can make this guy! Every hand that I can honestly do nothing, I can make this so, why not use it?

-Compulsory is the best trap in the game! I'm calling it out right now! I made a E-Dragon player go neg 3 with this card. Played Prophecy and he revealed 3 to SS High Priestess, use a crap load of Spellbooks to make his hand have 2 cards in it, played this and no more Priestess; he didn't even get to use the effect! Too good right now not to run. If I have to go any further, stop reading and play Patty-Cake. lol

-Effect Veiler may leave the side deck and not be played at all. I sided it in one duel and it worked, but with Landoise, Breakthrough Skill, and 2 Fiendish Chains, I don't need it.

-Breakthrough Skill is a good card. I get why it is $30-$40, but I hardly ever used it. I may play 1 Breathrough Skill and 1 Fiendish in the main, but I haven't decided yet. Going to do some more playtesting to decide what I'm going to do for the main deck. 2 Breakthrough, 1 Fiendish Chain and 1 Breakthrough. Fiendish Chain works in some situations where Breakthrough wouldn't. In the Prophecy match, I used Fiendish Chain on High Priestess and he chained with Spellbook of Wisdom. What he didn't know, is that after that turn, Fiendish Chain works against his Priestess and it saved me from Attacks and Effects, whereas Breakthrough Skill would have just stopped the effects. Leave me a comment on helping decide what to do here.


Matchups

I lucked out, playing only 1 E Dragon and 1 Prophecy, but they were everywhere!!!

Round 1 vs Dino Rabbit
OO
Stardust and Landoise put in work here, allowing him to not do much either game. Prevented Laggia and Dolka came out once, but it wasnt effective because of the card advantage I had.


Round 2 vs Hieratics
OO
Stardust again put in work against this deck. Not really sure if the player knew how to play the deck, but she did alright. She went first round 2 and made an exceed and ended with no backrow! Beat her my first turn.

Round 3 vs Chaos/Anti-Meta Deck
OO
This was actually a little tough because I didn't expect to play this deck. Opened with a nut hand and for some reason, didn't make a Landoise but I had 1 Stardust, 1 Beast, 2 Bureido turn one. He went with a set monster and 3 backrow. I cleared the backrow to find a Spirit Reaper f/d and couldn't get rid of it for like 3-4 turns, but I was drawing +3 every turn. Had I made a Burei in the beginning, this would have never went past my 2nd turn. Game 2 was over rather fast thanks to Landoise and Stardust.

Round 4 vs Prophecy
XOO
This was an extremely LONG and tough matchup. He went first game 1, and I didn't open too good, 20 minutes later, he beat me. I can't remember exactly why he won, because Spellbook magician and Jowgen is what beat me, and at that point I had already cycled through a full synchro play and was top decking mostly after that thanks to negs. Game 2 was over rather fast, thanks to a Naturia Beast and Mind Drain. Game 3 took a little too long I think. We ended up going into time, and Naturia Beast didn't see play at all this game!! I opened with a Mind Drain, Macro Cosmos, Solar Wind Jammer, KK Strategist, Compulsory, and something else. Made Stardust, set 3 and ended. He drew then I responded with Macro and Mind Drain. He had 3 spells in grave at this point in the game and Magician was on the field. He played tower and over the next 3 turns, that cleared out his grave to keep Fate from ever seeing the field XD. He scooped in turn 4 of time and got real salty at loosing to KK, saying he had never lost to them before. Felt accomplished afterwards. A friend that made 9th was like OMFG WOW! as he was watching game 3.

Round 5 vs E Dragons(read this plz lol)
XX
This was a really fun game actually lol... Game 1 was rather LONG!! It was over with 18 minutes left in game. Game 1: I didn't open too good, but I had a Compulsory Evacuation Device to help me out and it did great! Hit Draco when he came out leaving him with only 3 cards in hand and I think 1-2 Dragons in grave. He pushed through and negged his way to a LaDD; with maybe 0-2 cards in hand. My turn, I ended up keeping LaDD on field to maybe prevent plays, and it did. So I went after that and tried to push through but kept drawing crap. He ended up winning but thanks to bad drawing from me, but he still won that game lol. Game 2: This is where I sided in 3 Mischief of the Yokai, 2 **Special Card Here**, 1 Compulsory Evac Device, 2 Mind Drain, and at the LAST second, I decided to add in 1 Breakthrough Skill.  In the events of siding, I didn't realize that I took out 9 cards!! I wasn't keeping count of my engine, and took out 2 Instant Fusions, 1 Solar Wind Jammer, 1 Emergency Teleport, 1 Iron Call, 1 Pot of Avarice, 2 MST, 1 Heavy Storm! Had I payed attention, I would NOT have taken out 1 Instant Fusion, 1 Solar Wind Jammer, and 1 Iron Call! and replaced 1 Forbidden Dress, 1 KK Watchdog, and 1 Fiendish Chain instead! I know that doesn't seem like it is a lot of engine, BUT it realistically is when you look at what you are doing in KK! All the searching and deck thinning will disrupt if you don't have those cards to accommodate your plays. I digress.. Game 2: I opened with my 2 **Special Card** and it disrupt the whole E-Dragon Sequence in his summoning, making him neg down to 1 card in hand, no dragons in grave, and 1 Dracosack and Effect Veiler in hand. Sounds good right? the problem was this, I had 'dead' cards in hand. After all that negging my opponent just did, I couldn't beat him because I had 2 strategist, 1 Watchdog, and couldn't draw either Instant Fusion/Solar Wind Jammer to make a play(I had a Nisamu set for if he would have attacked it, but he ended up popping it with Draco, so that hurt a lot). I ended up drawing E-Tele and a Zenmaines like an idiot. Next turn, he made a Big Eye to take Zenmaines and attacked, I still couldn't draw either Instant Fustion or Solar Wind Jammer and he beat me. I don't feel too bad on the matchup because had I just not sided out those two cards, it may have been a little more different, because the 2 Special Cards did exactly what I wanted them to do. Next time, I'll pay better attention to what I side out.

Round 6 vs  Fire Fists
XX
He had the level 3 build and it was really good, but I misplayed game one with Forbidden Dress; Effect Veiler>Forbidden Dress doesn't work apparantly lol and if I would have just set it, Bear would not have killed Bureido. Game 2: Bad hands are bad!!! When the top 9 cards of your deck are spells, you can't win(unless I would have opened E-Tele and Instant Fusion).

Round 7 vs Chain Burn
OO
Easy.. KK is too fast for Chain Burn and Landoise says no to Scarecrow and Time Lord(or w/e that 0/0 guy is that returns everything)

Round 8 vs Heros
OO
Stardust beats these guys.. and with Compulsory and Solemn Warning behind that, GG man.

I'm happy with my performance and results. At Nats I will probably play KK again. Placed 20th overall with 208 in play. Leave comments and let me know what you think on KK vs the Meta. Thanks for reading :D

-Peperm1nt

No comments:

Post a Comment